Jan 15, 2010

The Irish President Mc Alisee visit the Reco

The 14th of January the President of Irelend, McAleese and the Lordmeyer of Dublin visited us and The Reco to open the facility up, it was the Official Reco Opening. It was a great experience. I had the chance to see the President and the Lordmeyer. However, I think I lived that experience different than the Irish workers. I mean, as I didn't know even never seen the President I didn't know what it would be like. However, I was looking forward to see her.

Before her arriving I learnt some things about the government structure in Ireland. I learnt, for example, that the President here is only a diplomatic figure who is elected by the party who win the elections. She or he isn't part of any political party. The Lordmeyer is elected every year and she or he isn't neither part of any party. They are important figures as they represent the country or the city but the Prime Minister is who has more power in the government and the political decisions. 

The visit was prepared in detail. First of all, when the President arrived, she made a tour around the different rooms and spaces of the Reco visiting some youthworkers and leaders and also some young people who show her what they use to do in The Reco. After the tour, she arrived in the hall, a big space, where some people, workers, young people, volunteers, etc. were waitng for her. She gave us a speech and talked about the importance of this young facility and, mainly, she told about the main actors and the main reason of this space: The young people. Finally she made the Official Opening.

I was really surprised about the President. She was a kind person, she told with some young people, spoke like a normal person and I felt her like not a very distant person. The Lordmeyer didn't say anything.

Finally we could enjoy a really good dishes prepared by the chefs of the Reco Restaurant.

I finished that event thinking how important is The Reco, how much value the work we are doing have, that we had the recognition of the President. Always it's pleasant that a city, a personality, appreciate what are you doing for the community. 

No comments: